The Things You Think Up at 2 am

The title pretty much sums it up.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Becoming a Domestic Goddess

So, I am so proud of myself, that I can't stop smiling. I got out my (recently purchased and used once) sewing machine and decided to use it. Rich's mom recently taught me how to use my sewing machine, since I had not operated one since Jr. High. I am in the process of making a quilt, but that requires directions and all of that.

This brings me to why I am so excited. Rich has been using ice packs and hot packs on his foot and leg. ( To see why he needs them, check out the pictures on his blog.) We have one of these hot/ice packs that was given to me as a gift a long time ago. It is basically a cloth bag with some herbs in it. The problem was that he needed ice and hot packs at the same time and we needed more than one. (We tried ice in ziplock bags, but they melt and leak and then everything gets all wet.) So we were driving around this morning and I said "I should find out where to buy those things and go get a few more." Then I thought.. I'm intelligent. I could figure out how to make a few since I now have sewing machine abilities.

So I went to Marden's and went through their scrap fabric bins. I bought a bunch of fabric scraps, totaling $6.80. (Some of them are for my quilt, so this project cost even less.) I went to Shaw's and bought a ten pound bag of rice, since I have frequently seen them filled with this as well. My SIL Rachel gave me the idea of scenting them with essential oils, so I bought a few different scents. All that cost me $23.00. (Those oils will last me a lifetime though, all you need is a few drops.)

So I got home and set up my sewing machine. By myself. With no help from my MIL. (This is a big deal, since I had to wind a new bobbin and everything, which I have only done once in my life). I cut the fabric to a good size (8x10 finished), and since one side was folded already, sewed up 2 sides, filled it with 4 cups of rice and a few drops of oil, then folded and sewed up the end. I popped it in the microwave for 1 minute and it came out smelling lovely and it was quite warm. It stayed warm for quite a while. I made 5 of them in about an hour and a half. I also threw one in the freezer for about 15 minutes and it worked really well.

So not only was I crafty, I was thrifty as well. They really only cost me a few dollars a piece to make, and those things go for 12-15 dollars normally. Very nice. One step closer to being the domestic goddess that I long to be.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:36 PM, Blogger Nhmommaof5 said…

    Good for you!! Maybe you can pass some skills on to me, seeing I'm slipping! I don't know why- it isn't like i'm busy or anything!

    Miss seeing you guys!

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Nhmommaof5 said…

    www.heetwave.com

    a local company who makes just this...see you could go into business, you domestic goddess, you!

     
  • At 7:06 AM, Blogger Big A said…

    guess I need to teach my wife how to code up a hyperlink.

    www.heetwave.com

     

Post a Comment

<< Home